Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Journey is the Reward

Oh yes indeedy. A very VERY good friend of mine told me that not so long ago and you know, it's so true.

There is also, in my opinion an exception to every rule, and in fact some journeys are just damn well frightening.

The last week in Kota Kinabalu has been lovely. Relaxing and quiet, some intense 'me' time. Yesterday I decided enough was enough though I must re-integrate into society so I booked myself onto the 9.30am bus to Sandakan where I am spending the night in anticipation of being reunited with Beverley Salmon first thing tomorrow. Yay!

It's been lashing it down with rain for the last four days, so the bus trip was a bit of a rough drive to say the least. In fact it was more of a surf than a drive. Never have I seen so much excess water without it actually being the sea.

I was also under the impression that in Malaysia they drive on the left hand side of the road - same as UK. Not so, our Sandakan driver. We spent most of the journey on the right hand side of the road, and he blithely overtook like a man possessed, whilst the passengers sat bolt upright in their seats, faces frozen in fear. Each time I made eye contact with a fellow passenger though, those massive wide grins broke out again, accompanied by loud peals of laughter.

If you're ever in need of a pick me up, feeling a little blue and want some attention, get to Malaysia - Sabah in particular. I feel like a movie star.

Dinner this evening (Mmm honey chicken) was no exception, with an added short encounter which had me laughing into my iced milo.

A westerner walked past the restaurant and stopped at my table. I kind of did a double-take - westerners are few and far between around these parts, its not exactly the back-packers beaten track, only REAL adventurers get this far (sorry).... anyway. He stopped and (Germanly) said:

'You sleep with me, yes?'

Er, well I ........................

'In my room, room 10, you are in room 10, yes?'

Oh, I see. 'Yes, I'm in room 10, Sandakan Backpackers next door you mean?'

'Yes, excellent. We sleep together....' and with a big grin, off he went.

Jesu Christo. He's lurking behind me right now as I type, Germanly smiling at me. Yikes.

Mum told me expressly not to talk to strange men on my travels, but if they keep talking to me, what's a girl to do? Eyes down, ipod on, is what.

So.............. tomorrow I ride with Mr Martin Vogel (the lovely Mr Danger) to Mengaris to be re-united with my wife, it's been so long. Apparently building a new Raleigh Palace (camp site) is well under way but work has not re-commenced on the Eco Lodge, a combination of lack of materials and a very poorly Rosli, who has apparently been in hospital with a high fever. There was talk of tree planting, so with this crazy weather I foresee being very muddy indeed for the next 48 hours.

I'm gonna suck it up though as after this little journey-ette I won't be seeing Mengaris for....... who knows how long. A very sobering thought :(

No comments: